Hello! I'm Jaclyn Trahan, a 23 year old, teaching 5th grade at Kennedy Elementary in Manistee, MI. I specifically teach reading, math, and social studies. I'm currently in my second year teaching and loving it! I grew up in Freeland, MI, went to college at CMU (fire-up Chips), and got a job teaching in Manistee after graduation. I have a major in Math and an ELA minor. I now live a mile from Lake Michigan and enjoy riding my bike, going to the beach, and running. In addition to teaching, I am the JV Girls Soccer Coach at Manistee, an Assistant Director at a summer camp, and am a Junior High youth group leader. I'm looking forward to learning new technology I can incorporate into my classroom and share with my colleagues. One concern I have for this course will be getting my work completed on time when I go to Africa. I am going with fellow teachers on a Missions Trip to Liberia, Africa to train local teachers for ten days and work with the students. I will not have internet access so I'm worried about keeping up with everything beforehand.
Week 4: Using Video
Part One: In our 5th grade science curriculum, students learn about the human body and how it works. The four main systems we analyze with our students are the skeletal, digestive, respiratory, and circulatory systems. I would utilize this video as an engagement hook to introduce students to the new unit. I would ask them to write down words they are unsure of and create a KWL Chart after watching this. I would then revisit this podcast at the end to see if the students can fully understand what is happening. Furthermore, I'd like to have them specify which system(s) are being discussed in the podcast and how they know that. This video is appropriate for fifth graders and goes right along with the body systems unit that we teach. I'm excited to use this next year because I believe that it will enhance the unit with further inquiry as I introduce the unit with it and then call for a reflection at the end. Since the video takes on a narrative perspective and "trave...

WOW Africa!!! This sounds amazing! What a cool learning experience for you and how awesome to able to share your talents as a teacher. I can't wait to hear about this trip. I hope you blog about it. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Jaclyn! The new blog looks great. I can't wait to find out what we will be learning about in this course over the next eight weeks. How exciting that you'll be going to Africa this semester. Hopefully you'll be able to work ahead so you don't have to worry about coursework on your trip. Best of luck! (Ronald)
ReplyDeleteJaclyn,
ReplyDeleteJust wow and congrats. You have accomplished a lot in a little amount of time and seem to have no intentions of slowing down. Your experiences should help you not only in your career but also in life. Look forward to reading your comments.